Author Topic: Acetone In The Urine Of Children  (Read 61 times)

Offline LoShiNi

• Forum VIP
  • Classic Member
  • "Behind every successful woman is Herself " :)
Acetone In The Urine Of Children
« on: July 25, 2017, 02:17:27 PM »
Why It Occurs And What To Do To Help Your Kid

Have ever heard about acetonuria? I personally even didn’t know this word until something strange happened to my child. She became weak, didn’t eat anything and even started vomiting. I believed it was some sort of stomach bug, but I wasn’t right. As it turned out, my kid had acetone in her urine, and it was a true problem. I decided to find out what this condition is and why it happened. I think this information will be useful for other parents too.

What we mean when we are talking about acetone in the urine and blood?

Acetone is toxic ketone bodies, and our body starts to produce them when it hasn’t enough glucose. Glucose is the primary source of energy for humans, so when our bodies experience the lack of energy, it begins to use its own proteins and fats for this purpose. This unhealthy process leads to ketone bodies in the blood and urine.

Why is it dangerous?

Ketone bodies are toxic that’s why their high levels result in damages of brain cells, problems with stomach, including vomiting, severe dehydration and even the development of coma. Acetonuria isn’t very common condition, and it usually occurs due to diabetes or severe infectious disease, but sometimes it develops even in totally healthy people under the influence of provoking factors. Children are vulnerable to acetonuria because their bodies are still growing.

READ ALSO: She Suffered From Ingrown Toenails For Many Years Until She Learned These Simple Tips!

The main symptoms of acetonuria are:

>> nausea and vomiting persistent for a long time;

>> anorexia, because food and fluid we consume simply don’t ingest;

>> stomach cramps;

>> high body temperature;

>> acetone odor: the patient’s breath has an odor similar to the smell of rotten apples.

If you don’t pay attention to these signs and don’t receive medical assistance, the health condition may deteriorate significantly, so be careful. Non-diabetic acetonuria may occur in kids under 12 years old due to unhealthy diet, emotional or physical stress.

How can you identify that your child has acetone in his urine?

The most accurate option is to use special test strips that can be bought in pharmacies. The test is very simple: just put a strip in a clean container with the kid’s urine and wait for a while. If the patient has acetone in his urine, the test strip will change its color.

How to treat this condition?

The causes of acetone in urine can be different, so it is necessary to consult with your doctor to find out the reason. The right diagnosis is one of the most important parts of treatment.

A special diet is also helpful for early recovery. Children during their treatment should avoid meat, fish, mushrooms, tomatoes, fast-food, caffeine, beans, chocolate, bread and pastry. Drinking sweet tea and compote cooked from dried fruits is a good way to improve the health condition.