Author Topic: How to Answer The 64 Toughest Interview Questions  (Read 12885 times)

Offline RemO

Re: How to Answer The 64 Toughest Interview Questions
« Reply #30 on: January 19, 2012, 01:33:30 PM »
Question 30   Have you been absent from work more than a few days in any previous position?

TRAPS: If you’ve had a problem, you can’t lie.  You could easily be found out.  Yet admitting an attendance problem could raise many flags.

BEST ANSWER:  If you have had no problem, emphasize your excellent and consistent attendance record throughout your career.
Also describe how important you believe such consistent attendance is for a key executive…why it’s up to you to set an example of dedication…and why there’s just no substitute for being there with your people to keep the operation running smoothly, answer questions and handle problems and crises as they arise.
If you do have a past attendance problem, you want to minimize it, making it clear that it was an exceptional circumstance and that it’s cause has been corrected.
To do this, give the same answer as above but preface it with something like, “Other that being out last year (or whenever) because of (your reason, which is now in the past), I have never had a problem and have enjoyed an excellent attendance record throughout my career.  Furthermore, I believe, consistent attendance is important because…”  (Pick up the rest of the answer as outlined above.).

Offline RemO

« Reply #31 on: January 19, 2012, 01:35:00 PM »
Question 31   What changes would you make if you came on board?

TRAPS:  Watch out!  This question can derail your candidacy faster than a bomb on the tracks – and just as you are about to be hired.

Reason:
No matter how bright you are, you cannot know the right actions to take in a position before you settle in and get to know the operation’s strengths, weaknesses key people, financial condition, methods of operation, etc.  If you lunge at this temptingly baited question, you will probably be seen as someone who shoots from the hip.
Moreover, no matter how comfortable you may feel with your interviewer, you are still an outsider.  No one, including your interviewer, likes to think that a know-it-all outsider is going to come in, turn the place upside down and with sweeping, grand gestures, promptly demonstrate what jerks everybody’s been for years.

BEST ANSWER:  You, of course, will want to take a good hard look at everything the company is doing before making any recommendations.
Example: “Well, I wouldn’t be a very good doctor if I gave my diagnosis before the examination.  Should you hire me, as I hope you will, I’d want to take a good hard look at everything you’re doing and understand why it’s being done that way.  I’d like to have in-depth meetings with you and the other key people to get a deeper grasp of what you feel you’re doing right and what could be improved.
“From what you’ve told me so far, the areas of greatest concern to you are…” (name them.  Then do two things.  First, ask if these are in fact his major concerns.  If so then reaffirm how your experience in meeting similar needs elsewhere might prove very helpful).

Offline RemO

« Reply #32 on: January 19, 2012, 01:37:46 PM »
Question 32   I’m concerned that you don’t have as much experience as we’d like in…

TRAPS:
This could be a make-or-break question.  The interviewer mostly likes what he sees, but has doubts over one key area.  If you can assure him on this point, the job may be yours.

BEST ANSWER:   
This question is related to “The Fatal Flaw” (Question 18), but here the concern is not that you are totally missing some qualifications, such as CPA certification, but rather that your experience is light in one area.
Before going into any interview, try to identify the weakest aspects of your candidacy from this company’s point of view.  Then prepare the best answer you possible can to shore up your defenses.
To get past this question with flying colors, you are going to rely on your master strategy of uncovering the employer’s greatest wants and needs and then matching them with your strengths.  Since you already know how to do this from Question 1, you are in a much stronger position. 
More specifically, when the interviewer poses as objection like this, you should…
1.   Agree on the importance of this qualification.
2.   Explain that your strength may be indeed be greater than your resume indicates because…
3.   When this strength is added to your other strengths, it’s really your combination of qualifications that’s most important.
Then review the areas of your greatest strengths that match up most favorably with the company’s most urgently-felt wants and needs.
This is powerful way to handle this question for two reasons.  First, you’re giving your interviewer more ammunition in the area of his concern.  But more importantly, you’re shifting his focus away from this one, isolated area and putting it on the unique combination of strengths you offer, strengths which tie in perfectly with his greatest wants.

Offline RemO

« Reply #33 on: January 19, 2012, 01:41:49 PM »
Question 33   How do you feel about working nights and weekends?

TRAPS: 
Blurt out “no way, Jose” and you can kiss the job offer goodbye.  But what if you have a family and want to work a reasonably normal schedule?  Is there a way to get both the job and the schedule you want?

BEST ANSWER:  First, if you’re a confirmed workaholic, this question is a softball lob.  Whack it out of the park on the first swing by saying this kind of schedule is just your style.  Add that your family understands it.  Indeed, they’re happy for you, as they know you get your greatest satisfaction from your work.
If however, you prefer a more balanced lifestyle, answer this question with another:  “What’s the norm for your best people here?”
If the hours still sound unrealistic for you, ask, “Do you have any top people who perform exceptionally for you, but who also have families and like to get home in time to see them at night?”  Chances are this company does, and this associates you with this other “top-performers-who-leave-not-later-than-six” group.
Depending on the answer, be honest about how you would fit into the picture.  If all those extra hours make you uncomfortable, say so, but phrase your response positively.
Example:  “I love my work and do it exceptionally well.  I think the results speak for themselves, especially in …(mention your two or three qualifications of greater interest to the employer.  Remember, this is what he wants most, not a workaholic with weak credentials).  Not only would I bring these qualities, but I’ve built my whole career on working not just hard, but smart.  I think you’ll find me one of the most productive people here.
I do have a family who likes to see me after work and on weekends.  They add balance and richness to my life, which in turn helps me be happy and productive at work.  If I could handle some of the extra work at home in the evenings or on weekends, that would be ideal.  You’d be getting a person of exceptional productivity who meets your needs with strong credentials.  And I’d be able to handle some of the heavy workload at home where I can be under the same roof as my family.  Everybody would win.”

Offline RemO

« Reply #34 on: January 19, 2012, 01:46:52 PM »
Question 34   Are you willing to relocate or travel?

TRAPS:  Answer with a flat “no” and you may slam the door shut on this opportunity.  But what if you’d really prefer not to relocate or travel, yet wouldn’t want to lose the job offer over it?

BEST ANSWER:
  First find out where you may have to relocate and how much travel may be involved.  Then respond to the question.
If there’s no problem, say so enthusiastically.
If you do have a reservation, there are two schools of thought on how to handle it.
One advises you to keep your options open and your reservations to yourself in the early going, by saying, “no problem”.  You strategy here is to get the best offer you can, then make a judgment whether it’s worth it to you to relocate or travel.
Also, by the time the offer comes through, you may have other offers and can make a more informed decision.  Why kill of this opportunity before it has chance to blossom into something really special?  And if you’re a little more desperate three months from now, you might wish you hadn’t slammed the door on relocating or traveling.
The second way to handle this question is to voice a reservation, but assert that you’d be open to relocating (or traveling) for the right opportunity.
The answering strategy you choose depends on how eager you are for the job.  If you want to take no chances, choose the first approach.
If you want to play a little harder-to-get in hopes of generating a more enticing offer, choose the second.

Offline RemO

« Reply #35 on: January 23, 2012, 04:56:18 PM »
Question 35   Do you have the stomach to fire people?  Have you had experience firing many people?

TRAPS: This “innocent” question could be a trap door which sends you down a chute and lands you in a heap of dust outside the front door.  Why?  Because its real intent is not just to see if you’ve got the stomach to fire, but also to uncover poor judgment in hiring which has caused you to fire so many.  Also, if you fire so often, you could be a tyrant.
So don’t rise to the bait by boasting how many you’ve fired, unless you’ve prepared to explain why it was beyond your control, and not the result of your poor hiring procedures or foul temperament.

BEST ANSWER:    Describe the rational and sensible management process you follow in both hiring and firing.
Example: “My whole management approach is to hire the best people I can find, train them thoroughly and well, get them excited and proud to be part of our team, and then work with them to achieve our goals together.  If you do all of that right, especially hiring the right people, I’ve found you don’t have to fire very often.
“So with me, firing is a last resort.  But when it’s got to be done, it’s got to be done, and the faster and cleaner, the better.  A poor employee can wreak terrible damage in undermining the morale of an entire team of good people.  When there’s no other way, I’ve found it’s better for all concerned to act decisively in getting rid of offenders who won’t change their ways.”

Offline RemO

« Reply #36 on: January 23, 2012, 04:58:03 PM »
Question 36   Why have you had so many jobs?

TRAPS: Your interviewer fears you may leave this position quickly, as you have others.  He’s concerned you may be unstable, or a “problem person” who can’t get along with others.

BEST ANSWER:  First, before you even get to the interview stage, you should try to minimize your image as job hopper.  If there are several entries on your resume of less than one year, consider eliminating the less important ones.  Perhaps you can specify the time you spent at previous positions in rounded years not in months and years. 
Example:   Instead of showing three positions this way:
6/1982 – 3/1983, Position A;
4/1983 – 12/1983, Position B;
1/1984 – 8/1987, Position C;
…it would be better to show simply:
1982 – 1983, Position A;
1984 – 1987 Position C.
In other words, you would drop Position B altogether.  Notice what a difference this makes in reducing your image as a job hopper.
Once in front of the interviewer and this question comes up, you must try to reassure him.  Describe each position as part of an overall pattern of growth and career destination.
Be careful not to blame other people for your frequent changes.  But you can and should attribute certain changes to conditions beyond your control. 
Example:  Thanks to an upcoming merger, you wanted to avoid an ensuing bloodbath, so you made a good, upward career move before your department came under the axe of the new owners.
If possible, also show that your job changes were more frequent in your younger days, while you were establishing yourself, rounding out your skills and looking for the right career path.  At this stage in your career, you’re certainly much more interested in the best long-term opportunity.
You might also cite the job(s) where you stayed the longest and describe that this type of situation is what you’re looking for now.

Offline RemO

« Reply #37 on: January 23, 2012, 04:59:15 PM »
Question 37   What do you see as the proper role/mission of…
…a good (job title you’re seeking);
…a good manager;
…an executive in serving the community;
…a leading company in our industry; etc.

TRAPS:  These and other “proper role” questions are designed to test your understanding of your place in the bigger picture of your department, company, community and profession….as well as the proper role each of these entities should play in its bigger picture.
The question is most frequently asked by the most thoughtful individuals and companies…or by those concerned that you’re coming from a place with a radically different corporate culture (such as from a big government bureaucracy to an aggressive small company).
The most frequent mistake executives make in answering is simply not being prepared (seeming as if they’ve never giving any of this a though.)…or in phrasing an answer best suited to their prior organization’s culture instead of the hiring company’s.

BEST ANSWER:   
Think of the most essential ingredients of success for each category above – your job title, your role as manager, your firm’s role, etc.
Identify at least three but no more than six qualities you feel are most important to success in each role.  Then commit your response to memory.
Here, again, the more information you’ve already drawn out about the greatest wants and needs of the interviewer, and the more homework you’ve done to identify the culture of the firm, the more on-target your answer will be.

Offline RemO

« Reply #38 on: January 23, 2012, 05:01:41 PM »
Question 38   What would you say to your boss if he’s crazy about an idea, but you think it stinks?

TRAPS:  This is another question that pits two values, in this case loyalty and honesty, against one another.

BEST ANSWER:    Remember the rule stated earlier:  In any conflict between values, always choose integrity.
Example:  I believe that when evaluating anything, it’s important to emphasize the positive.  What do I like about this idea?”
“Then, if you have reservations, I certainly want to point them out, as specifically, objectively and factually as I can.”
“After all, the most important thing I owe my boss is honesty.  If he can’t count on me for that, then everything else I may do or say could be questionable in his eyes.”
“But I also want to express my thoughts in a constructive way.  So my goal in this case would be to see if my boss and I could make his idea even stronger and more appealing, so that it effectively overcomes any initial reservation I or others may have about it.”
“Of course, if he overrules me and says, ‘no, let’s do it my way,’ then I owe him my full and enthusiastic support to make it work as best it can.”

Offline RemO

« Reply #39 on: January 23, 2012, 05:02:43 PM »
Question 39   How could you have improved your career progress?

TRAPS:
  This is another variation on the question, “If you could, how would you live your life over?”  Remember, you’re not going to fall for any such invitations to rewrite person history. You can’t win if you do.

BEST ANSWER:  You’re generally quite happy with your career progress.  Maybe, if you had known something earlier in life (impossible to know at the time, such as the booming growth in a branch in your industry…or the corporate downsizing that would phase out your last job), you might have moved in a certain direction sooner.
But all things considered, you take responsibility for where you are, how you’ve gotten there, where you are going…and you harbor no regrets.

Offline RemO

« Reply #40 on: January 23, 2012, 05:04:15 PM »
Question 40   What would you do if a fellow executive on your own corporate level wasn’t pulling his/her weight…and this was hurting your department?

TRAPS:  This question and other hypothetical ones test your sense of human relations and how you might handle office politics.

BEST ANSWER: 
Try to gauge the political style of the firm and be guided accordingly.  In general, fall back on universal principles of effective human relations – which in the end, embody the way you would like to be treated in a similar circumstance.
Example:  “Good human relations would call for me to go directly to the person and explain the situation, to try to enlist his help in a constructive, positive solution.  If I sensed resistance, I would be as persuasive as I know how to explain the benefits we can all gain from working together, and the problems we, the company and our customers will experience if we don’t.”

POSSIBLE FOLLOW-UP QUESTION: And what would you do if he still did not change his ways?

ANSWER:  “One thing I wouldn’t do is let the problem slide, because it would only get worse and overlooking it would set a bad precedent.  I would try again and again and again, in whatever way I could, to solve the problem, involving wider and wider circles of people, both above and below the offending executive and including my own boss if necessary, so that everyone involved can see the rewards for teamwork and the drawbacks of non-cooperation.”
“I might add that I’ve never yet come across a situation that couldn’t be resolved by harnessing others in a determined, constructive effort.”

Offline RemO

« Reply #41 on: January 23, 2012, 05:05:30 PM »
Question 41   You’ve been with your firm a long time.  Won’t it be hard switching to a new company?

TRAPS: Your interviewer is worried that this old dog will find it hard to learn new tricks.

BEST ANSWER:
To overcome this objection, you must point to the many ways you have grown and adapted to changing conditions at your present firm.  It has not been a static situation. Highlight the different responsibilities you’ve held, the wide array of new situations you’ve faced and conquered.
As a result, you’ve learned to adapt quickly to whatever is thrown at you, and you thrive on the stimulation of new challenges.
To further assure the interviewer, describe the similarities between the new position and your prior one.  Explain that you should be quite comfortable working there, since their needs and your skills make a perfect match.

Offline RemO

« Reply #42 on: January 23, 2012, 05:06:27 PM »
Question 42   May I contact your present employer for a reference?

TRAPS: If you’re trying to keep your job search private, this is the last thing you want.  But if you don’t cooperate, won’t you seem as if you’re trying to hide something?

BEST ANSWER: Express your concern that you’d like to keep your job search private, but that in time, it will be perfectly okay.
Example: “My present employer is not aware of my job search and, for obvious reasons; I’d prefer to keep it that way.  I’d be most appreciative if we kept our discussion confidential right now.  Of course, when we both agree the time is right, then by all means you should contact them.  I’m very proud of my record there.

Offline RemO

« Reply #43 on: January 23, 2012, 05:07:51 PM »
Question 43   Give me an example of your creativity (analytical skill…managing ability, etc.)

TRAPS:  The worst offense here is simply being unprepared.  Your hesitation may seem as if you’re having a hard time remembering the last time you were creative, analytical, etc.

BEST ANSWER:
  Remember from Question 2 that you should commit to memory a list of your greatest and most recent achievements, ever ready on the tip of your tongue.
If you have such a list, it’s easy to present any of your achievements in light of the quality the interviewer is asking about.  For example, the smashing success you orchestrated at last year’s trade show could be used as an example of creativity, or analytical ability, or your ability to manage.

Offline RemO

« Reply #44 on: January 23, 2012, 05:08:53 PM »
Question 44   Where could you use some improvement?

TRAPS: Another tricky way to get you to admit weaknesses.  Don’t fall for it.

BEST ANSWER:  Keep this answer, like all your answers, positive.  A good way to answer this question is to identify a cutting-edge branch of your profession (one that’s not essential to your employer’s needs) as an area you’re very excited about and want to explore more fully over the next six months.