Author Topic: First Woman Amputee To Climb Everest  (Read 579 times)

Offline Ayisha

• Golden Member
  • ✤ Loneliness Is Beautiful And Empowering ✤
First Woman Amputee To Climb Everest
« on: October 10, 2018, 12:10:44 PM »

Arunima Sinha lost her leg when some burglars demanded her gold chain, and on her refusal, pushed her out of the moving train. She was hit by a passing train and suffered severe injuries.Two years later she became the first woman amputee to climb the Mount Everest. From battling the difficult days in the hospital to chasing her dreams of scaling the highest peak, Sinha’s story is all about courage, passion, dedication and respect.

“I turned my artificial leg into my strength and stubbornly chose the most difficult sport for myself,” she says.

Inspired by cricketer Yuvraj Singh, who had successfully defeated cancer, she decided to “do something” with her life. She didn’t want people to pity her. Instead, she wanted to get her life back, and, with support from her brother and coach, she became more determined about what she had to do.
“When I was undergoing treatment at AIIMS (All India Institute of Medical Sciences) for four months, I could not do anything on my own. But then one day I decided to climb the Everest,” she says.

She joined Eco Everest Expedition group in the Tata Steel Adventure Foundation-run training camp in Uttarkashi and got trained under ace mountaineer Bachendri Pal. While going through a year-long rigorous mental and physical training she would sometimes feel disheartened when she could not catch up with “normal” people, but her strong dedication kept her going.

Sinha had climbed 21,110 ft up Mt Chhamser Kangri (21,798 ft) of Ladakh in September 2011, but had to abandon the expedition 690 ft short of the summit due to bad weather conditions. But her aim was to scale the Everest.

And, after immense hard work, training and 52 days of a difficult climb from Kathmandu to the top of the peak she fulfilled her dream as she conquered the highest summit which was 8,848 meters above the sea level on May 21, 2013.

“I would not have climbed Mount Everest if I had not met with the accident. Though I lost my leg in the incident, it made me much stronger. When I was going through a tough time, I remembered my mother’s words who told me that when on the edge, look behind and see how much you have climbed and you will realize that you are only one step away from your destination,” she says.