Author Topic: Singam 2  (Read 1021 times)

Offline MysteRy

• Global Moderator
  • Classic Member
  • ♥♥ Positive Thinking Will Let U Do Everything ♥♥
    • http://friendstamilchat.com/
Singam 2
« on: July 05, 2013, 07:21:52 PM »
Singam 2 Movie Review

Director: Hari
Cast: Suriya, Anushka, Hansika, Santhanam, Vivek
Music: Devi Sri Prasad

The most difficult thing is to make a sequel to a hit film work with the audiences. Suriya the complete actor has worked hard to make 'Singam 2', another mass masala entertainer like the original. But 'Singam-2' beats you to a pulp, cinematically. This eighties-style, low-IQ, deafeningly loud, unapologetically crass, mind-numbing movie is packaged just for Suriya fans!

'Singam 2' works in bits and pieces. It is fast paced with a thoroughly enjoyable first half which slackens in the second half with a predictable climax. Our hero Doraisingam (Suriya) has gone undercover and is working as an NCC officer in a school in Thuthukoodi. He feels something fishy is happening in the seas around the coastal town.

There are two bad guys Bhai (Mukesh Rishi) and Thangaraj (Rahman) who control the coastal belt with their nefarious activities. Meanwhile Sathya (Hansika) a student in the school falls for Doraisingam due to his daring acts. However, he still loves Kavya (Anushka) and is waiting to marry her. Meanwhile the bad guys join hands with an international drug dealer Danny (Danny Sapani) to flood the market with brown sugar. How our one-man army defeats the evil forces is what the rest of the film is about.

Doraisingam, roars most of the time, eye balls popping out and smashes baddies into the ground as he jumps about 6 feet high and attacks from top (just like a Lion)!! So fans can’t complain- They get maximum entertainment from their favourite hero as he mouths corny punchlines, samples- “We have to listen to our parents and who else?” “My job is like my God and police station is my temple”

All the characters in the original like Anushka, Vivek, Radha Ravi, Sumitra, Nassar etc etc are here too but all of them look like caricatures mouthing their lines perfectly. The new addition- Santhanam as Sappa and Hansika as Satya shines. Though Santhanam and his lines are so predictable, he is such a relief between all the roarings. His dream scene dancing with Anushka is a scream.

Hansika delivers her part with conviction and is looking fresh and gets the sympathy in the end. The climax in South Africa where Doraisingam single-handedly pins down the international drug dealer as the police looks in awe is so filmy. Logic, of course, is the last priority here. Anushka looks jaded, has nothing to do but sizzle with Suriya in two songs. Suriya as Doraisingam is terrific.

One of the biggest reasons for 'Singam' success was it had foot-tapping music by Devi Sri Prasad, but 'Singam 2' major drawback is the lack of peppy numbers. The song picturisation and placement is awry, and acts as a loo-break. Priyan’s camera is good, especially the top angle sky-cam shots of Thoothukudi. The film is too long at 2 hrs 47 minutes and needs trimming.

On the whole, 'Singam-2' is pure noise.

Offline MysteRy

• Global Moderator
  • Classic Member
Re: Singam 2
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2013, 07:26:52 PM »
Friday Fury - July 5

Suriya’s Hari directed action entertainer Singam 2 is releasing today worldwide. In Chennai city after protracted negotiations with multiplexes over playing terms, the deal was firmed up only by late Thursday evening.

Finally, Singam 2 got best terms and shows from multiplexes who bend over backwards to play the Suriya film. In most newspaper ads the entire Chennai city list of theatres are missing.  The film is sure to take a good opening if the weather in Chennai holds.

The two Hindi releases is the raved about Vikramaditya Motwane’s  Lootera and  KS Ravikumar’s Hindi remake of Saamy titled Policegiri. The Hollywood releases are The Lone Ranger and the animation Despicable Me 2.

Offline MysteRy

• Global Moderator
  • Classic Member
Re: Singam 2
« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2013, 07:28:30 PM »
Singam-2 is a sure winner: Suriya

For cinema devotees, July 5 is an important date, as Doraisingam the honest-to-goodness police officer is back on screen in Singam-2. This sequel to Singam, one of iconic films in Suriya’s career, according to its makers is bigger and better. In this chat with Sridevi Sreedhar, a cool and composed Suriya opens up on Singam 2, and his career moves

There is a promo cuts of Singam-2 looks exactly like Singam. Please comment?
That’s the way, the film is designed and packaged without losing the essence of the first part. This film takes from where Singam ended and now Doraisingam is on a different mission and the villains are more powerful with international link-ups.  There are no punch dialogues and it will be an out and out entertainer

So what’s new in Singam-2?
A lot of things are new. Hansika and Santhanam are new characters in the film. The milieu is also different, the villains are more deadly and the making is more chic. Rest of the cast from the original, is there. Devi Sri Prasad’s songs are also a big highlight. They go along with the story. We all saw it and felt that we have made a good film, a sure winner and now it will be the audiences who will have to give the final verdict.

At a time when comedy rules the box-office, do you think a mass masala film will be accepted?
Our industry has been thriving on commercial mass masala pot-boilers for years.  People enjoy watching them, if it is entertaining and well-made. I believe there is still a huge market for mass films.

Why don’t you move away from big budget, mass films and do a small experimental film, as you have the backing of your own banner Studio Green?
Who said I am not game for it? There are plans but the right script has to come. I feel that 7aum Arivu and Maattrran had experimental content.

Singam-2 is releasing big in Tamil, Telugu and Hindi in over 2000 screens.. Do you there is a market for a  Hindi dubbed version?
Why not in Hindi? There was readymade buyer for the Hindi version. And as far as Studio Green is concerned, it was another revenue stream.   

Did your family watch Singam-2?
Not yet. I watched it once with my team and will be watching it with my family on release day.

Heard that one of heroines die in the film? Is it Hansika or Anushka’s character?
Ha ha ha.. You please see it for yourself.

So what next? The million dollar question- Your next film is with Lingusamy or Gautham Menon?
 I have a commitment to both the directors. Can’t say anything right now..probably I will be doing both the projects (smiles).