Offline MysteRy

• Global Moderator
  • Classic Member
  • ♥♥ Positive Thinking Will Let U Do Everything ♥♥
    • http://friendstamilchat.com/
Re: I(Ai)
« Reply #30 on: January 11, 2015, 10:57:30 AM »
‘I’ rules Kerala market

The Malayalam movies are playing the waiting game, since Shankar’s ‘I’ is all set to strom in 200+ screens for Pongal. The first one to back out from the race was, ‘Mili’, starring Amala Paul & Nivin Pauly, followed by, Prithviraj’s ‘Picket 43′, and Mammotty’s ‘Fisherman’.

All the above movie’s are looking at a another date to releases the movie, and if, ‘I’ goes on to occupy the screens for till the end of this month, it will be really tough for these films to accommodate themselves.

Meanwhile, the black clouds over the release of ‘I’ have been sorted out amicably, and the producer has assured a smooth release across the world in more than 5000 screens.

Offline MysteRy

• Global Moderator
  • Classic Member
« Reply #31 on: January 13, 2015, 07:57:43 PM »
Will the team ‘I’ get what they want?

Getting a ‘U’ certificate is very important for a Tamil movie as it might yield them a tax exemption from the state Govt. For a movie like ‘I’ which is said to be produced in more than 100 crores, the ‘U’ certificate becomes a mandatory for the producer to recover his production cost pretty quickly.

The team ‘I’ has sent the movie once again to the revising committee as they did not get a clean ‘U’ in the first attempt and they are said to be pretty hopeful this time around. The movie’s run time is more than 3 hours as of now and if the revising committee suggests any cuts, we might get to hear something different in the later part of the day. Stay tuned for more.

Offline MysteRy

• Global Moderator
  • Classic Member
« Reply #32 on: January 14, 2015, 02:33:42 PM »
I – (Ai) Movie Review

Cast:    Vikram, Amy Jakson
Direction:    Shankar
Production:    Venu Ravichandran
Music:    A. R. Rahman

The last time Shankar embraced romance would have been “Kadhalan”, is that right? Well, strike that! As none of his movies were short of romance, as the “Love” rather played an important aspect in almost all of his movies. With “I”, we see Shankar experimenting by rather stepping away from his usual message oriented flicks to an action cum romantic drama spearheaded by Chiyaan Vikram and Amy Jackson. Spread over a period of two years, a strict weight regime from the lead actor, trots around the globe and finally an audio launch from Arnold, so has I lived up to the expectation? Let’s find out

I :

The Hunchback, the beast, a bodybuilder, a suave model? The transition by Vikram as Lingesan is what “I” all about. As a diehard bodybuilder whose only goal in life is become Mr. India, deviates from his PATH by falling heads over heels on Diya (Amy). Right, as you sit gaping at Vikram’ s Greek Godish physique through his body building exhibit, out comes the Amy the diva making us sit back and wonder if anyone else could have done this role better.

Shankar takes time to establish his characters, a buildup that rather consumes a lot of time and gets more predictable on who’s who. Love being the Holy Grail of this movie, the avid chemistry between the lead pair rather blossoms in a convincing way and as one might have guessed amongst some of the scenic landscapes on earth.

The movie itself switches between timelines of now and then, a part where the sinister hunchback appears out of nowhere and tortures his victims, the other part where the Bodybuilder turned model runs smitten over an upcoming diva. With a little over 180 minutes of screenplay the plotline would have rather turned dull if not for the occasional humor infused, thanks to the wisecracks from Santhanam.

The stage is set for a grand finale, a heartwarming romance between one of the hottest couple around, a couple of villains licking their wounds to get back their lost pride, so what happens next? Who is the hunchback? Enough spoilers, watch the movie to find out.

What’s good?

Most often in a Shankar movie, the critic’s first impression would be the “Larger than Life” impression that Shankar leaves behind. But in “I”, Vikram’s flies in and dunks the ball, and just keeps doing it.

Two words “Simply Awesome”! To start, “I” is not the movie that brings a character just for the sake of it, however integrates into the plot. All the hardwork Vikram has put into has a fitting justification, something that doesn’t serve just the actor’s hunger but what the fan’s stomach wants as well.

Some of the highlights include the short yet sweet exchange of Madras Baashai between Amy and Vikram, the stunning acting sequences from Chiyaan after Interval, Amy sets the screen on fire as a model, finally though I hate to repeat this in every Shankar movie; the Songs and its jaw dropping picturization. As again Rahman somehow keeps waving his magic wand for Shankar movies at ease, springs life to the movie. PC Sreeram’s work behind the lens, especially for the shots in China are simply magnificent, also puts justice to the extensive makeup work from the Weta workshop.

Cast & Crew:

Amy Jackson’s screen presence is just wow. While leaving the cinema hall, one cannot think of someone else in her place, and she had worked really hard to get the lip synch, which is laudable. After a brief hiatus, Santhanam has bounced back heavily, and proved that he’s the best in the business. He shoulders the movie in the first one hour and comes back to provide some comic relief in the later part of the second half.

Suresh Gopi has underplayed for most part of the movie and erupted hard when it’s required. Upen Patel looks classy and fits the bill perfectly as an international model. Ramkumar Ganesan will remind you the famous Liquor baron and Shankar has extracted what is needed from him.
Although the movie is a visual treat, Antony’s editing department could have spent some more time to make the screenplay a bit faster than what it had been served. At the end of 3 hours, 10 mins, the viewers are exhausted to some extent.  The movie features four extraordinary stunt sequences designed by, Yuen Woo Ping (Bike Stunt in China), and Anal Arasu’s three fantabulous stunts are nothing less than a visual treat. Probably for the very first time, the viewers are sticking to their seats when the stunts arrive, on-screen. WETA has done more than a magic to the script and this will open new avenues for Tamil cinema.

Why, What and How?

As much we enjoy Shankar’s manifestation of opulence there are staggering moments in the movie that could have changed its outlook.

Of all the Shankar movies, I is the most predictable one; be it the plot or the next to come sequence.
It’s surprising to see mediocre dubbing in a perfectionist’s movie, all the lip synch between the non-Tamil speakers look haywire.
At a stretch of 189 minutes, the screenplay clearly tugs along giving out time for ample dull moments, could have been trimmed.
An age old tested storyline heavily weighs on Vikram’s performance and makes the viewers constantly in search of thrills and perks.
Ergo, I capitalizes too much on Vikram’s energetic performances yet crosses the boundary line in style.

Offline MysteRy

• Global Moderator
  • Classic Member
« Reply #33 on: January 14, 2015, 09:25:13 PM »
Kerala is all set to give a rousing welcome for 'I'

Shankar’s I, which has Vikram as the hero, will release in around 220 theatres in Kerala. The fans of the film have made sure that the first day is totally sold out, which will ensure a superb opening for the film in the state.

Vikram has tremendous fan following in Kerala and the popularity of Tamil films is posing a threat to Malayalam films. Usually, January is a busy month with so many new releases in Kerala, but the filmmakers are playing a cautious game this year.

The response to I and the fate at the box office of the remaining Pongal releases will be a key factor while deciding the release date of the forthcoming Malayalam films.

Offline MysteRy

• Global Moderator
  • Classic Member
« Reply #34 on: January 14, 2015, 09:32:43 PM »
Why, one must give a try to spend money for ‘I’

On an average, we all, especially, the youngsters, spend our hard earned 120 rupees for a movie ticket, at least once in a month. There are people, who visit the cinema halls only during festivals and for the biggest stars in the industry. The tag Shankar itself will draw almost everyone towards to the theatre, but the below points might help the people, who hardly step into the cinema halls.

1.    The shooting for the movie started way back in July 2012 and ended in August, 2014. One of the longest movie ever

in   the history of Indian cinema to be under production for more than two years.

2.    Vikram’s versatility as he shed and gained kilos for all three characters.

3.       P.C. Sreeram’s camera and one can notice that he played with the primary colors, Red, Blue, and Green for

the  ‘Pookale Satru Oyivedugal’ song.

4.       The X factor in Ramkumar Ganesan and Suresh Gopi characters.

5.       For the first time, Shankar has put off his vigilante kind of story lines and took a romantic thriller.

6.       Vikram’s alien level effort to dub in all three languages for the Hunchback character by holding his throat tightly to get the modulation right.

7.       World famous, ‘WETA Studios’ contribution for an Indian movie.

8.       Most expensive Tamil cinema ever

9.       Shankar’s grandeur

10.     Vikram’s dedication

Offline MysteRy

• Global Moderator
  • Classic Member
« Reply #35 on: January 17, 2015, 04:55:33 PM »
'I' takes a gargantuan opening

Shankar directed Vikram's I has taken a gargantuan opening across the globe. As per sources worldwide gross collection is approximately Rs 35 crores.

In Tamil Nadu, the film has grossed 10.5 crs (approx) on its first day and the nett collection is 8 crs, after 25 to 30% entertainment tax cut. Since the film is having a UA certificate, it is not tax free in TN. Though the film has been trashed by critics, the Pongal holiday audiences has lapped it up.

In Kerala, I has grossed nearly 3.05 crores which is a new record for any language film on the opening day. No big Malayalam film has ever collected Rs 3.5 Cr on its first day. The number of screens (225) and the promotions enabled the film to get such an opening.

In Karnataka, the first day gross collection of I is reportedly around 2.5 crores. Being a working day the film did not open big, but is expected to do better during the weekend.

In the overseas market I is doing extremely well thanks to the Shankar brand. The film has collected half a million US dollars in its premiere show on January 14 which means in US alone the film has grossed Rs 3.2 crores.

And I in Telugu has also taken a very good opening. The Andhra Pradesh and Telengana collection of I is almost equal to the film's BO performance in Tamil Nadu. Yes, the first day gross collection of I is almost Rs 10.5 crs (approx), which is as good as a big hero Telugu film.

In short I has taken a dream opening especially in southern states of India and overseas. I in Hindi is releasing today (Jan 16) in the Hindi heartland of North India.

Offline MysteRy

• Global Moderator
  • Classic Member
« Reply #36 on: January 21, 2015, 10:29:29 PM »
Smiley calls out Shankar's regressive take on Transwomen

iving Smile Vidya aka Smiley, actor, writer and transgender activist, has written an open letter to Director Shankar on his latest film 'I' that takes some pretty violent digs at the transgender community. This rather blatant show of hatred was not lost on our critic who found it offensive among the many other things that 'I' threw up. Read Smiley's take on the film, below:

To
The Epic Film director Shankar:

Sir,

I watched “I”.

I stand here in Tamil Nadu, where religious fundamentalist forces have ensured that a creative piece of work has been retracted and its author gone into exile, where – on grounds that it hurt religious sentiments – “The Da Vinci Code” was banned, and “Viswaroopam” was temporarily banned and went on to get a lot of publicity, becoming a high grosser.

I stand here today and look at your work. Everyone knows that a ‘Shankar film’ caters to the actor’s hunger for versatility in a role, the producer’s fetish for money, the mad worship of a rogue masquerading as a hero, or  the blatant misogyny underlying the blind craze among fans.

However, you would have known that most critics, barring a predictable few, have found the film disappointing. While they have ridiculed your script and your screenplay, it seems to be beyond them to criticise your ridiculing the ‘nine’ (trans) character in your movie. I am amazed at the wonders of freedom of expression exercised in the making of this particular work. You are, after all, the epic director! You are free to depict us, trans people as sex freaks, sociopaths, second class citizens, or in any way you want to. I’m sure you would have liked it when one of them took a leaf out of your book and wrote, ‘there’s another villain, a “nine”thara.’

Beyond your magnificent ambition, ostentatious sets,  striking actors, and your grand budget, I would like to reach out to your large and imposing mind. If the appalling denigration of transwomen in “Shivaji” (when Vivek says ‘It has just come back from surgery,’ and our super star moves away, disgusted) was at one level, you have surpassed yourself by taking transphobia to a whole new level in “I”.

This insignificant little girl would like to speak a few words with you about this.

Just ten minutes into the film, Vikram, the epitome of on-screen machismo, stares at the villain and says ‘dei, potta’. I was not surprised. Other ‘pottais' like me and I are used to such slander on screen. When Vinoth, director of the socially-sensitive film “SathurangaVettai”, casually uses the word ‘pottai’ as an abuse, and critics ruling this part of the world support him, can we expect any less from you?

Shankar, how are we, the pottais of the world, any less dignified than your masculine ideal? Is that ideal bigger than our realization that our being is filled with femininity, and we yearn to live the truth of our gender? Is your ideal much bigger than the courage to be honest and leave the safety of our home, and the comfort of our families? Is your ideal nobler than us losing our basic rights as citizens, when we run away and become refugees, second-class citizens, in our own country? Is it more magnificent than the scorching pyre of starting life afresh as a woman, without economic or social support? Is it any grander than us bearing with fortitude, the violence of your masculine ideal on our bodies every day of our lives? Or, Shankar, do you simply think we do not feel at all? That we cannot realize our dignity is assaulted?

It’s fine that you wanted five villains. I understand your script required all of them to be from the film industry. But then, you wanted one villain among them to be plush and grand and at the same time comical. I am appalled that you chose to have a transwoman as that villain.

Your transwoman character is a stylist. Just so that you wanted it to be authentic you cast Ojas Rajani – Aishwarya Rai’s stylist in “Enthiran” (I wonder if she knew what she was doing; if you told her how transphobic her character is in the movie). Even while she is introduced as the top stylist by the ciswoman who plays the leading lady, why do the hero and the friend look down on this transwoman? You must know that there are numerous examples of transwomen who have risen to great heights, battling these very same struggles. Do you wish to make the statement that despite our rising to great heights, the fact that we are trans is reason enough to look down on us? To denigrate us? When you see fans update their vocabulary to use the name of a popular film that strove to bring dignity to the transgender community (I am referring to the film “Kanchanaa” which, surprisingly, against its intention, has lent its title to be used by people to tease us these days), why would you start with that popular song sung by a travelling group of transwomen singer-dancers, “oororam puliyamaram”? Unfailing your ignoble intention, the audience erupted with laughter at this mean usage of the song. Would you have heard the wail of our mothers, who are, just like your “Muthalvan” Pugazh’s mother, in anguish?

Your leading man sees your leading lady only in posters and on the silver screen, falls in love with her – true and honest – and yet manages to not have any sexual desires at all. And your leading lady loves him in return, thanks to guilt and sympathy. When this is okay, how is it that the love of a transwoman is so worthless that it disgusts not just the leading man, but also the lady, and the friend, and the faraway ad filmmaker? This disgust is a tool you have employed to vilify the character in your script, isn’t it? When you wanted to show her as a rich transwoman, your camera lens showed her in a very beautiful light. Immediately after her love is brushed aside as being worthy of scorn, your camera shows her as a despicable person. Shankar, let me tell you, your camera does not just show a despicable Ojas, it shows a despicable you!

You know, right up to this scene I wanted to be civil and polite in expressing my angst. Just when you showed us that Ojas occupied Room No. 9, I lost it. You must know that I have been called ‘nine’ all my life in school. I was poked and pierced on all sides, torn apart, left alone and to nothing but tears, with this number. I still have this number now, thrown at me on the streets. I also have the arsenal of swear words I have picked up on the way, and I would not hesitate to throw back at you. But then, the critics of the world (special mention, Cable Shankar) will take it upon themselves to give me lessons in cultured conversation. I do not want that; so I will continue to be polite.

While the censor board made you place the disclaimer, ‘No animals were harmed during the making of this film’, it turned a blind eye to the blatant discrimination of sexual and gender minorities, and people with physical disabilities – granting you the freedom to hurt and offend these sections of the population. What is the use of questioning the faults in your work without condemning the kindness of the CBFC?

Let’s turn to your leading actor Vikram. He has risen to great heights after much effort and hard work, but he is no exception to this insensitivity – the film that gave him his big break, Bala’s “Sethu”, has him say ‘de, you are going to become an ajak one day, doing this’. His inspiration – the rationalist, modernist, liberal – Kamal Haasan has, after all, used ‘pottai’ with such recklessness, and has famously vilified transwomen and homosexuals in his film ‘Vettayaadu Vilayaadu’. This insensitivity is common to every actor here.

But still, if it will reach, I’d like to say one thing to you – and all actors, comedians and directors. The men of this world are not your only audience – those men who worship that abusive, insensitive, patriarchal, masculine ideal that denigrates people who are courageous enough to live the truth. Your work is also watched by those very same people you denigrate, alienate and laugh at. We have TVs in our homes. We watch your films. We laugh, we enjoy. We also feel. We can also rise in fury when our dignity is assaulted.

Offline MysteRy

• Global Moderator
  • Classic Member
« Reply #37 on: January 21, 2015, 10:50:23 PM »
Suresh Gopi on cloud nine after I release!

In both reel life and real life, actor Suresh Gopi is finding a top spot in the headlines these days. There were big speculations everywhere regarding the length of his role in Shankar's I. 

Now it has been revealed that his role as the main vallian in the film is perhaps the best in his career so far.

But on the day when I released, the actor was in the news for his speech in connection with the Vizhinjam project. His alleged comment that Hindus should be actively involved in the project was discussed at length by social networking sites. But there are many who believe that he was misquoted.

It's now Suresh Gopi's turn to make a statement on the controversy. As for his career, I could catapult him to an altogether different league.

Offline MysteRy

• Global Moderator
  • Classic Member
« Reply #38 on: January 23, 2015, 01:41:41 PM »
Vikram is hot property after 'I' success

After Shankar's 'I', Vikram seems to be getting a lot of offers from many top directors in Kollywood.

Sources close to Vikram say that the actor has agreed to do a project for Kalaipuli S Thanu and it will be directed by Anand Shankar of Arima Nambi fame. Vikram has also revealed that he has asked Vijay Milton to come up with yet another script after 10 Enrathukkula and recently the director is said to have narrated the outline.

Mean time we also hear that Gautham Menon has narrated a script for Vikram which might be produced by Ayngaran International.

Another buzz is that AR Murugadoss who is producing 10 Enrathukkulla will also be directing a film for Vikram but sources say that it is too early to confirm any such reports

Offline MysteRy

• Global Moderator
  • Classic Member
« Reply #39 on: January 29, 2015, 11:04:43 AM »
Vikram, Vijay & Shankar at I success bash

Recently, the success bash of Vikram and Shankar’s ‘I’ happened at Leela Palace, Chennai.  The party was attended by Vijay, Vikram, Shankar and their respective family. It is said that even the reticent and normally reserved Vijay and Shankar is said to have a good time at the party.

Sources add that Vikram, Vijay and Shankar have cracked jokes till midnight and even danced for some of the peppy Tamil numbers. Word is that all the three have also discussed about the future projects and also on I’s general reception from the audiences.

It has to be noted that of late, Vijay and Shankar are sharing a special rapport and sources say that the duo might soon join together for a possible project!

Offline MysteRy

• Global Moderator
  • Classic Member
« Reply #40 on: January 29, 2015, 11:11:43 AM »
The Real and the Reel in Shankar's I

The treatment of the transwoman in the recently released Shankar film I has come under flak from the transgender community as well as film critics. Fanboys and fangirls of Shankar, however, insist that the issue has been blown out of proportion and that the film-maker was only depicting 'reality'. That is, it is only real for two local Chennai boys to insult and denigrate a transwoman and that the film merely portrays this 'reality'.

The argument that all of this is because of Shankar's commitment to reality seems hilarious, given that I has a man suffering from muscle atrophy beating up a bunch of goons single-handedly, a supermodel from an elite social class falling head-over-heels in love with a guy who can't say 'thanks' properly just because he guilt-tripped her a bit, a long line of suitors rejecting the supermodel's hand in marriage because she had a boyfriend once, a business tycoon going to insane lengths to avenge a newbie model and so on. The entire film calls for a mammoth suspension of disbelief if we're to sit through it and convince ourselves that all of this is remotely 'real'. It's quite evident that Shankar's selective use of 'reality' in the film is pretty suspect.

Even if a film is realistically made, there is a sea of difference between portraying the ugliness of a certain reality as it is and validating it in your narrative. For example, showing street sexual harassment as it happens is one thing; to romanticize it and show it as machismo is quite another. Tamil cinema routinely shows the heroine being stalked, harassed and blackmailed into falling in 'love’'with the hero. Any woman who has faced street sexual harassment (and which woman in India hasn't?) will attest to the fact that this is absolutely not the way to a woman's heart. And yet, we're routinely asked to suspend our disbelief and accept this crime as romance because this is 'just a movie'. So on the one hand, we have loyal fans insisting that a certain depiction happens because it is 'real' and on the other hand, the same fans justify nonsensical and even dangerous portrayals because one shouldn't 'confuse' reality with cinema.

What Lingesan (Vikram) and Santhanam (Babu) do in I is a validation of the treatment that is mete out to transfolks in real life. The scenes are considered to be comic and not a representation of injustice or intolerance. The purpose of the hero in any narrative is to draw the audience to his side of viewing the story. The audience is meant to root for him and his actions. This is why, even when we have a hero playing the bad boy, he continues to be principled about many things that he knows the audience will consider important. For example, even if the hero is a smuggler, he will refuse to smuggle drugs; he will refuse to rape women or traffick children. This is the key difference between a hero-playing-a-bad-boy and an actual bad boy. The hero's attitude and behaviour towards anybody and any issue in the film becomes a justification of their/its depiction. Nowhere in I does Lingesan change his attitude towards the transwoman. From her introduction to her humiliation, she remains an object to be scorned and rejected.

In real life, transfolks have come a long way. Especially in a State like Tamil Nadu which has pioneered efforts to give them their rights. Many transgender persons are educated, hold jobs (and not only in the glamour industry as is routinely portrayed), and have found acceptance within a society that is slowly moving towards recognizing people of all genders and sexual orientations. Given this climate, it is curious to see which end of the stick of 'reality' Shankar has chosen to cling to in his film. It takes more guts and gumption to scratch the surface of reality and show it without make-up than to blow up a 100 crores sticking boils on to a man’s face. Without a doubt, I has its fans who will applaud it for its use of 21st century technology. There will be very few who will see the 19th century mentality in it but it is important that some of us see it.

Offline MysteRy

• Global Moderator
  • Classic Member
« Reply #41 on: March 04, 2015, 09:59:00 PM »
Vikram's 'I' hits half century

Today, Vikram and Shankar's monstrous hit 'I'  completes its 50 days run in Tamil Nadu.

The film is a huge that it has grossed more than 150 crores worldwide and thus it turns out to be the second highest grossing Tamil film after Rajinikanth's Endhiran.

Produced by Aascar Ravichandran, the film got mixed response from critics but audience lapped it up big time for the grandeur and Vikram's sheer hard work in the hunchback role.

Not just in Tamil Nadu, the film has been declared as a hit venture in Kerala, Karnataka, overseas and also made huge business in the neighboring states Andhra Pradesh/Nizam.

Sify.com wishes the entire team of I including Shankar, Vikram,Amy Jackson, AR Rahman, PC Sreeram and Aascar Ravichandran on their huge success.