Author Topic: ~ TIPS ~  (Read 5299 times)

Offline MysteRy

• Global Moderator
  • Classic Member
  • ♥♥ Positive Thinking Will Let U Do Everything ♥♥
    • http://friendstamilchat.com/
Re: ~ TIPS ~
« Reply #15 on: December 06, 2012, 09:45:20 AM »
●► 5 Effective tips to negotiate better ●►

Understanding the negotiation process and circumventing some key negotiation landmines can help you obtain the best offer possible. Take note of these tips to avoid unfortunate negotiation disasters like settling for a lower salary than you deserve (that dream car will remain a dream for 3 more years!) or worse, losing the job offer you worked so hard for (that dream car may never materialize in that case).

1. Avoid negotiating based on your salary needs:
With a variety of salary information resources, such as professional associations and salary websites easily accessible, you must invest the time to determine your ‘market value’. (You can also use the Shine Salary tool to do this). Learn to differentiate between financial fact and fantasy. Do not under any circumstance; try to negotiate a higher salary simply because you need it due to personal circumstances. They will reward you according to the prevailing market rates plus a premium (if any) based on your ability to demonstrate special skills that will generate incremental value for their organization.

2. Avoid revealing your minimum salary requirement too early:
Remember - information is power, and the earlier you provide this information, the less room you’ll have for negotiating later. Even if the employer asks for a salary history or salary requirement early in the interview process, remain as noncommittal as possible. Only begin this discussion once you get the job offer, and are in a bargaining position.

3. Never negotiate with the wrong mindset:
Always keep in mind that at the end of the day, you and your employer both want to feel like you’ve got a good deal. Hence, when negotiating, always remain professional and never act too aggressively or be demanding. Make requests and suggestions, and be willing to accede to certain points to show your cooperativeness. Finally, once an agreement has been reached, recognize that the negotiations are over and you must not be tempted to ask for anything more.

4. Avert demanding too many changes to the offer:
If you are keen on the job but unhappy with the offer, pick your battles and identify one or two most important elements that you wish to change. Go specific and deep! For example, ask for 15% higher base salary and 5 more vacation days, and develop focused, compelling arguments for that. This is infinitely better than trying to change the salary, insurance coverage, relocation package, housing and car allowance as they just make you look greedy and less credible.

5. Finally, don’t burn any bridges:
If for any reason, the negotiations break down and neither you nor your potential employer is willing to budge, do not be rude or sarcastic and create any ugly scene. Instead, thank them graciously and walk away with your head held high- you never know when you may benefit from this association in the future.

Offline MysteRy

• Global Moderator
  • Classic Member
« Reply #16 on: December 06, 2012, 10:31:17 AM »
Top 8 Job Hunting Tips

At a time when so many experienced and highly trained people are looking for work, finding a job is not something that can be approached casually. Instead you will need to sharpen your job-hunting skills and put as much energy into the effort as you will into the job itself. Here are a few steps you can take:

1. Create a first-rate cover letter - Remember that it is a means of introducing yourself, and your resume's valuable partner. It is also a sales letter that must be free of spelling and grammatical errors, and should never be written in haste.
While you will want to have a generic template ready that you use as the basis for getting an interview, every cover letter you send should be tailor-made for the company you contact and the position you are seeking.

2. Develop an effective resume - This should showcase your skills, experience, and training so that potential employers can clearly see how they will benefit from hiring you.

3. Spend time preparing for every interview - Make an effort to research the company in question, dress appropriately, and be punctual. Try to stay calm, and focus on explaining the ways in which you can satisfy the employer's needs.

4. Remember to search the hidden market - This is both rare and fertile territory, and you can access it by making direct contact with potential employers and doing your share of networking. Today, you can even register on organizations' websites to request updates on openings that match their skills and experience.

5. Pay special attention to acknowledged growth industries - Be aware, also that, depending on your background, this may also require some retraining on your part. Many of these openings will be related to energy conservation, the medical field, the Border Patrol, National Guard, homeland security, and national defense.

6. Consider temporary employment or working as an independent contractor-Depending on your flexibility and versatility, you may succeed in a "temp to perm" position" if you have the patience to see it through, and you will be earning some income in the meantime. Once you learn what the tax implications are for freelancers, you may discover that you can go this route if you find the right client(s).

7. Be prepared to relocate if necessary - This is seldom an easy decision to make, but experts in the field of recruitment tell us that your chances for finding employment increase when you are willing to expand your horizons and agree to compete on a bigger playing field.

8. Try to keep a positive outlook - Every contact you make, every interview you experience, will bring you closer to hearing those magic words, "When can you start?" If Monday comes and you are still out of work, plan your job-hunting campaign for the week and remember that you may be starting a new job the following Monday.

Offline MysteRy

• Global Moderator
  • Classic Member
« Reply #17 on: December 06, 2012, 11:59:55 AM »
●►Ten Employee Training Tips

Well-trained employees are the key to your small business success. Studies have shown that the most successful, productive employees are those who have received extensive training. They’re the cream of the crop, often having the strongest stake in the company’s future.
In an ideal world, you would be able to hire people who already possess the exact skills your business needs. But in today’s competitive labor market, demand for skilled workers far exceeds supply.

That’s where training comes in. Not only does instruction arm your employees with needed professional or technical skills, but it also shows that you are invested in them and interested in bringing them with you into the company’s future. This helps keep workers motivated and involved.

► To successfully launch an employee training program in your own company, follow these 10 helpful tips:

1. Stress training as investment - The reason training is often considered optional at many companies is because it is thought of as an expense rather than an investment. While it’s true that training can be costly up front, it's a long-term investment in the growth and development of your human resources.

2. Determine your needs - As you probably don’t have unlimited time or funds to execute an employee training program, you should decide early on what the focus of your training program should be. Determine what skills are most pertinent to address current or future company needs or ones that will provide the biggest payback. Ask yourself, “How will this training eventually prove beneficial to the company?” Repeat this process as your business needs change.

3. Promote a culture of learning - In today’s fast-paced economy, if a business isn’t learning, it’s going to fall behind. A business learns as its people learn. Communicate your expectations that all employees should take the necessary steps to hone their skills and stay on top of their professions or fields of work. Make sure you support those efforts by providing the resources needed to accomplish this goal.

4. Get management on board - Once you have developed a prioritized list of training topics that address key needs within your company, you need to convince management to rally behind the initiative.

5. Start out small - Before rolling out your training program to the masses, rehearse with a small group of users and gather their feedback. This sort of informal benchmarking exposes weaknesses in your training plans and helps you fine-tune the training process.

6. Choose quality instructors and materials - Who you select to conduct the training will make a major difference in the success of your efforts, whether it’s a professional educator or simply a knowledgeable staff member. Having the right training materials is also important — after the training is over, these materials become valuable resources for trainees.

7. Find the right space - Select a training location that’s conducive to learning. Choose an environment that’s quiet and roomy enough to spread out materials. Make sure the space is equipped with a computer and projector, so you can present a visually stimulating training session.

8. Clarify connections - Some employees may feel that the training they're receiving isn't relevant to their job. It’s important to help them understand the connection early on, so they don’t view the training sessions as a waste of valuable time. Employees should see the training as an important addition to their professional portfolios. Award people with completion certificates at the end of the program.

9. Make it ongoing - Don’t limit training solely to new employees. Organized, ongoing training programs will maintain all employees’ skill levels, and continually motivate them to grow and improve professionally.

10. Measure results - Without measurable results, it’s almost impossible to view training as anything but an expense. Decide how you’re going to obtain an acceptable rate of return on your investment. Determine what kind of growth or other measure is a reasonable result of the training you provide. You’ll have an easier time budgeting funds for future training if you can demonstrate concrete results.

Offline MysteRy

• Global Moderator
  • Classic Member
« Reply #18 on: January 03, 2013, 10:31:41 AM »
●►Six Career Tips To Help You Grow

Lately, a few friends of mine are making some moves in their careers, they asked me for my advice, so I decided to give them my observations.

1. Learn something new every day:-

When I was a lowly intern right out of college doing grunt work IT application clean up and light UI design, I asked harassed, my dear colleagues to teach me something every single day. They thought I was bright-eyed, cute, and naive and I ended up learning a little about each of the web developers, system integrators, project managers, web managers, web architects, computer support teams. Although this was clearly outside of the scope of an intern, bit by bit, I soaked in each little morsel about web in the enterprise and it fueled me to learn more. Leo Cheng, Jason Martorano, Oliver Cheng, Dave Giffen, John Perera, Kunal Malik, Jeff Cavano, Aileen Cheng, Robert Cartelli were so good to me, thanks guys.

2. Often, the fastest way Up is Out:-

Often, the fastest way up, for those who enjoy working in companies, is out. In most cases, incremental raises are often single digit changes (keeping you above the inflation waterline), and the occasional promotion will be low double digits. For those that I’ve met and move to new job positions, outside of their company they can often expect a 20%-40% increase in salary as they join a new company. It’s interesting to see that firms may value outside talent as more important than inside experience talent, in some cases, a fresh skillset or experience may be what’s needed.

3. Reverse engineer the job you want:-

Another useful tip is to reverse engineer the position that you desire to be in. Earlier in my career, I aspired to be a web manager, so I took job descriptions of web strategists and looked at all the skills and experiences needed. I printed out the job description (circled the salary) and taped it to my bathroom mirror, I saw it every morning and night, a double dose of self-reflection. Over time, you start to piece together the projects, programs, and apply new skills to learn how to do this. With time and perseverance, your resume will catch up to where you want to go.

4. Education matters, but not as much as you thought:-

For very specialized jobs, where in school training is essential (law, medicine, sometimes programming) this bullet doesn’t apply to you. More and more executives I meet have degrees in something they didn’t study in school for. For most jobs, they hire you because of what you can do for them, not what school you went to. There’s a reason why education falls to the bottom of the resume, and the ‘value statement’ is at the top, quickly followed by real world experience. Don’t get me wrong, education is very important, a bachelor degree is really expected in today’s workplace, but I often lean on the broad, theoretical knowledge I gained as a primer (or glossary) for me to dive in deeper in the business world.

5. You are a company of one:-

The other observation I share with my friend (and now you) is that you are a company of one. Even though your paycheck is being delivered through your employer, you are solely responsible for your direction, what you learn, how you perform, and how much you’re paid. I firmly believe that you are paid what you’re worth, so when I hear people complaining “they are underpaid”, in my mind, I translate that as you’ve “undersold yourself”, get skilled, spend time on weekends or early mornings to learn more, and apply new projects, programs and skills –or leave. Therefore, you are your own CEO, CMO, CFO, COO, CTO, you’re in control of your destiny. As you can tell, I don’t believe in fate, you are driving your ship of one.

6. Develop your plan, and put it in writing:-

If you’re with me so far, develop your own plan, both short term and long term plans, and set goals on how to reach them. Often, these goals don’t have titles or companies in them, but they describe the environment, or the end outcomes of which you want to reach. Over time these goals will change, and that’s ok, but at least you’re looking forward. I learned this from my buddy’s dad when I was growing up, he had several businesses, and one of his dreams was to have a Ferrari –he achieved it.

Offline MysteRy

• Global Moderator
  • Classic Member
« Reply #19 on: January 03, 2013, 01:43:32 PM »
●►7 Tips for Getting Off to a Great Start in a New Job

Its a tough time to be entering the workforce. If you are in your first real job there is a lot expected of you. You know the unemployment lines are long and no way do you want to wind up there again. You want to make a good impression at work with your colleagues and with your boss.

Its natural to feel a bit overwhelmed in your first days and weeks on the job so I'm going to give you some really simple stuff you can do that will make sure you don't stick out like a sore thumb.

1. Eliminate like from your vocabulary. Or eliminate it as much as you can. This bad habit has like crept into nearly everyone's vocabulary and like it's annoying as hell. It adds no meaning to your communication other than to make you sound as if you're unsure of what you're saying.

2. Learn to write in cursive. If you're not comfortable writing in cursive at least be able to sign your name in cursive. And use black or blue ink at work. Leave the colored ink for writing your guest list for your Lady Gaga lookalike party.

3. Spell words correctly. This isn't a problem when you're on a computer because spellcheck will fix everything for you. But when you have to sit down and write a note because no computer is available you don't want any misspelled words. It makes you look bad. Period.

4. Answer the phone correctly. Yo! or Hey! is not the proper way. Answer the phone giving your first and last name. Saying Good morning! is optional. If you manage to also tell the caller your department you get an extra point.

5. Take a message. If you take a message make sure you get the correct spelling of the person's name and the phone number (repeat it back). Nothing gets you on someone's sh*t list faster than messing up a message.

6. Wear a watch. Yeah I know you tell time by looking at your smartphone. But this is the business world and your co-workers don't want to see you looking at your phone all the time they think you're sneaking a look at your girlfriend's text message. Get a watch.

7. E-mails are not texts. When e-mailing someone take the time to include a salutation (Dear John) and use words such as please and thank you. Just as you would not pop your head into someone's cubicle and blurt report due today! and then pop out again you shouldn't be so abrupt in an e-mail. While you may believe you are being concise and your friends are used to it those in the professional arena may think otherwise. Curt messages can be perceived as rude and that's never going to help you as a new employee.

Offline MysteRy

• Global Moderator
  • Classic Member
« Reply #20 on: January 29, 2013, 02:41:24 PM »
●► Tips - Suits Which You Can Wear to Work

A lot has been said as well as written about the right kind of corporate apparel or work wear for women. Today’s metro-sexual man is as aware of what to wear to work as his female counterpart. Wearing the right corporate apparel exudes style as well as confidence.

The correct fit of a suit can really help in changing the entire look and appeal of a man. Suits can be formal as well as semi-formal. Also, there is a lot of difference between suits which you can wear to weddings and parties and those which can be worn to work.

The suits can be bespoke, ready to wear or tailor made depending on how much you want to spend on them. The style and cut you opt for is very important as this plays the role of a catalyst in changing your personality and look. If you are tall, you can opt for a double breasted suit but this is a strict no-no for someone who is short and sturdy. If you are on the stouter side, try the single breasted suit, which can suit all body frames.

When it comes to corporate wear, business suits rule the roost. In the course of your daily work routine, you meet numerous clients, employees, potential customers, etc, and the impression you create is crucial for your success at work. You can even opt for a casual business suit and leave out the tie which is not mandatory if you are not attending a seminar or presentation.

Nothing can beat the perfect fit of a made to measure or tailored suit. Not only does it fit best, you are more comfortable as you had a say on the fabric, color as well as the cut. Budget suits are normally brought off the rack and can be altered in size to fit you better. Suits as work wear should come in solid colors like navy, charcoal grey or even the occasional darkest brown.

Remember, the corporate apparels you choose should be stylish, impressive, smart and above all comfortable.

Offline MysteRy

• Global Moderator
  • Classic Member
« Reply #21 on: January 29, 2013, 07:09:11 PM »
●► Financial tips for job seekers

Losing your job is tough. But in the midst of a recession, rebounding and finding new employment is even harder. While uncertainty and doubt may overwhelm you, job loss can be an opportunity to reevaluate your career, take control of your situation and, most importantly, regain your self-confidence.However, while building a resume and making connections to find a new job are a priority, the first issue most people should address is money.

Here are some immediate tips to stay financially afloat after a job loss.

Draft a survival budget :-
Anticipate that you’ll be out of work for at least six months. It’s impossible to predict how long your unemployment will last, of course. But you can control what you spend and save. Tips on increasing your cash flow are also available at thrivent.com/job change.

Make sure you and your dependents have health insurance coverage :-
It may be least expensive to join your spouse’s plan, if that’s an option. If not, look into COBRA coverage through your former employer. The 2009 economic stimulus package from the federal government requires that a percentage of COBRA premiums be paid by your previous employer for a period of time.

Examine credit card debt :-
Contact your credit card company about lowering your interest rate. If you have credit card debt, you may need to make just the minimum payments until you get back to work. If your debt is significant or you are having trouble making even the minimum payments, try to negotiate a payment plan with your creditors. For help managing your debt, learn about Thrivent Financial Bank’s Debt Savvy program.

File for unemployment benefits :-
You have a right to receive benefits you’ve paid for. Rules may vary by state.
* Maintain your life insurance coverage
* Avoid drawing upon retirement funds

Offline MysteRy

• Global Moderator
  • Classic Member
« Reply #22 on: January 29, 2013, 07:10:44 PM »
●► 8 Most Important Tips for Landing a Job Overseas

Depending on your individual preferences and choices, you may want to find employment in foreign countries. Landing a job overseas provides you multiple benefits. By landing jobs internationally, jobseekers get an opportunity to broaden their experience and global perspective. While working overseas, you experience cross-country cultures and get to know multiple languages. If you are one of those jobseekers who aspire to land international jobs, the article provides you with 10 most important tips for landing a job overseas.

1. Developing a job search strategy:-
The job market becoming tougher, you need to plan a job search strategy. Without a strategy in place, you may miss employment opportunities. Before you start applying for jobs overseas, you need to know whether you want to work with public or private companies. It is also important to know what type of corporate culture you are looking for. For planning the job search strategy, you need to avail yourself of all the important job search methods and tools including professional networking, cold calling or cold contact, corporate websites, company career centers, general job sites, international job sites, international job fairs and government sources among others.

2. Determining the type of job you want:-
Most of the jobseekers miss out on this essential part of a job search strategy. You need to have real focus on the type of job you are looking for. For example, you may be looking for an international job which involves traveling and experiencing foreign cultures. But, are you clear about the actual job title you are seeking. It is important to know what attracts you to getting employed overseas. Figure out what job profile you want and that you qualify for the desired job title.

3. Conducting company and job research:-
Conducting a research on companies, jobs and countries is an important part of the job search process. As a jobseeker, you should be well informed about how to conduct company research . Apart from that, you are required to prepare spreadsheet which contains all the information of job titles, job profile, experience and the company name and location you are interested in. Another important tip to land an international job is by working for the company in your native country first. When you acquired relevant experience and job skills, you can plan a transfer to the company's branch office in a different country.

4. Fine-tuning your key job skills and language skills:-
As you get ready to market yourself in the global job market, you need to know what a foreign country employer looks for in a candidate. The three most important skills employers want to see in candidates include technical knowledge, cross-cultural adaptability and excellent language skills. Review your strengths and weaknesses and prepare yourself accordingly.

5. Preparing job search correspondence:-
The value of job search correspondence can never be underestimated. To become a deserving candidate for a job position, you need to write a dynamic cover letter explaining your reason for writing, achievements, employer's requirements, how you are a good fit for the company etc. You need to end the cover letter proactively requesting for a job interview. Besides, you need to understand the regional differences between a curriculum vitae and a resume. Most of the countries in the U.S. and other countries overseas prefer a CV to a resume.

6. Using your network of contacts:-
Professional networking plays an important role while searching for jobs in your native country. While searching for jobs globally, it has utmost importance. Whether it is about getting job alerts, understanding cross-country culture or the economics of a foreign country, your network of contacts can bring you a lot of benefits.

7. Preparing for global job interview:-
The key for your interview success is always a lot of practice and preparation. Majority of overseas employers conduct initial job interviews through a non-personal medium (email, telephone and video conferencing). You should be well prepared to deal with all of these interview methods and techniques . Unconventional interviews provide jobseekers a wonderful opportunity to be considered for a job internationally. Excellent language skills play a crucial role in these non-personal or unconventional interviews.

8. Following up all job leads:-
Put in sincere effort to follow up all job leads via telephone calls and emails. Be in touch with employers and well informed about the status of job openings. At the same, increase your knowledge about the culture of the country. After the interview is over, follow up the overseas employer by sending them thank-you notes.

Offline MysteRy

• Global Moderator
  • Classic Member
« Reply #23 on: February 09, 2013, 12:03:52 PM »
5 Job Security Tips

With recent employment losses in the legal industry, few jobs are completely secure. Below are a few ways to protect yourself from the pink slip and survive lean times.

1) Be Flexible – With the belt-tightening occurring in many law firms and corporate legal departments, you may need to reinvent yourself. Expand your current skill-set, acquire new skills and avoid placing limits on the scope of your position.

2) Be Proactive – Remain alert to new opportunities, actively seek new assignments and volunteer for projects and committees outside your job parameters.

3) Be Available – Working late even when it’s not expected and remaining available during crunch times will establish you as reliable and willing to go the extra mile. Law firm partners may appreciate your hard work when downsizing decisions are made.

4) Be Positive - Job losses, pay cuts, restructuring - in today’s market it’s easy to become negative and pessimistic. Adopt a positive attitude and the powers-that-be may want to keep you around when times are lean.

5) Be Cost-Conscious – Be cognizant of how you can contribute to the bottom line. Think outside the box to cut costs and find creative ways to streamline work processes.

Offline MysteRy

• Global Moderator
  • Classic Member
« Reply #24 on: March 13, 2013, 07:45:28 PM »
Top 5 Job Search Tips

Looking for a new job can become a job in itself, however if you plan your search correctly, you could be on your way to a great new career sooner than you think.

Here's our advice on the key things to need to do to make your job hunt a resounding success.

1. Look for hidden vacancies
Instead of advertising their available jobs, employers often look to fill vacancies by word-of-mouth, headhunting or simply by recruiting internally. Knowing how to get yourself in contention for these roles could give you a major boost when it comes to finding your next role.

2. Get employers to come to you
Getting headhunted is no longer the preserve of employees in senior management. When you post your CV online, you are immediately putting your details within reach of thousands of employees may save you the trouble of searching through job adverts.

3. Target the right companies
Do you want to be a big fish in a small pond or would you rather have the safety of a large organisation with job security and a clear career path? Knowing what you want allows you to narrow down your search and spend more time on applying for the roles you really want.

4. Build a network
Networking is getting to know people who can help you develop your career prospects. You don't need to be a big shot or the most outgoing person in the world to network effectively, just keep your ears open and listen for information that could work to your advantage.

5. Keep your spirits up
As time passes, the rejections mount up and the budgets get tighter, it's easy to become disheartened. However, this is exactly the time when you need to dust yourself off and put in more hard work than ever. One of the main attributes of a successful job seeker is persistence.
« Last Edit: July 04, 2013, 12:02:21 AM by MysteRy »